GIS/GPS Intern I
The GIS/GPS Intern I works with the GIS staff on projects and technical assistance related to mapping, GIS, and GPS activities in the region.
General Duties and Responsibilities
1. GIS Coordination: Involves assisting the GIS staff with spatial data management and coordination for various planning and technical assistance initiatives within the region. This duty will consist of:
Assist with creating, editing, and reviewing GIS data for various local and state initiatives;
Assist with producing map books, wall maps, planning maps, and other print mapping products; and
Assist with collecting and converting GPS data.
2. GIS Program Development: Involves assisting the GIS staff with identifying, initiating, and implementing special GIS services and/or products to meet planning, development, management, or operational needs for local governments, utilities, and stakeholders in the region. This duty will consist of:
Assist with new services/products;
Assist with local government, utility, and partner collaborations;
Assist with developing and managing ArcGIS Online data, maps, applications, tools, and dashboards; and
Assist with researching and investigating innovative functions of GIS.
3. WRIS Data Management: Involves assisting the GIS staff with collection and entry of water and wastewater project and system data. This duty will consist of:
Assist with collecting spatial and non-spatial water and wastewater system data;
Assist with collecting and reviewing spatial and non-spatial water and wastewater system data; and
Assist with collecting, reviewing, and correcting spatial and non-spatial project profile data.
4. Transportation Planning Data Management: Involves assisting the GIS staff with the collection and management of data outlined in the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Regional Transportation Annual Work Program. This duty will consist of:
Assist with updating and analyzing the regional spatial and non-spatial transportation asset data; and
Assist with transportation project mapping creation, review, and development.
5. KYTC Centerline Data Management: Involves assisting the GIS staff with collecting and update county and city centerline updates for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. This duty will consist of:
Assist with the review of existing county road and city street centerline data;
Assist with identifying corrections and updates;
Assist with coordinating updates;
Assist with paperwork and supporting documentation; and
Assist with GPS centerline data collection.
6. Other Duties: Involves any other tasks and technical assistance needed to support the planning and project development needs of the Gateway counties and cities.
The internship position is part-time, unpaid, and temporary (June – July). The position will provide a vast amount of experience to the intern, including how to work in an office setting, work with a team, and how to strengthen skills while building a strong resume. Additional benefits include: the ability to make a significant impact on the organization, ability to implement new ideas, and the opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Gateway ADD is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.Minimum Qualifications
Candidates must be current students, recent graduates (within one calendar year), and/or have been accepted to enter an advanced degree program (within the next year), with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Most interns are at least seniors at the undergraduate level, though strongly qualified juniors (at the time of application) will be considered. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will possess: a strong work ethic, prioritization, and problem-solving skills; initiative, good attitude, and willingness to learn; exceptional written and verbal communication skills; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle assigned tasks efficiently and correctly; proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); customer service experience is a plus. Consequently, a strong sense of responsibility and the ability to work well with a team and/or with minimum supervision are strong assets.
If you have any issues submitting this form, please email this information to email@example.com.